Friday, September 16, 2011

A USER-FRIENDLY HOME

I found this story on making your home user-friendly. We moved in our home four months before I lost my vision in my right eye. I remember thinking the hardwood floors were too light but now I it makes a big difference because it makes the room look lighter. My cabinet and counter tops are also white. Also making it easier to see in the kitchen. The only thing I don't like is the raised threshold in every doorway. Because I worked in a building supply store for 25 years and sold hardwood I know you should not do this. The person who put the floor in did this to raise the price of the job. It just gave me something to trip over. You do put a raised threshold in the laundry and bathrooms in case the pipes leak so the rest of the house won't flood. We also have stairs with handrails. They are sometimes not installed but you even need them if you have children.


A User-friendly Home

A home should meet everyone’s needs—
including those who are visually impaired.

Try these suggestions for a safer, friendlier
home:

• Mark settings on appliances and thermostats with colored tape.
• Cut glare by eliminating glass table tops and glossy floors.
• Make mirrors accessible without having to lean over a counter or sink.
• Organize clothes in dressers and table settings in cupboards for easy matching
and retrieval.
• Have regular spots for keys, cell phones, TV remote, and other easily lost items.
• Remove trip hazards, such as loose rugs and low tables.
• Mount fire extinguishers in easily accessible locations and know how to use them.

For more, visit the American Foundation for the Blind Web site www.afb.org and type “house survey” in the search box.

Lifeglow

July - August 2008: Vol. 25, No. 4

No comments:

Post a Comment