Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Keeping a positive outlook during eye surgery

My father sent me another article from the Oxford Eagle in Oxford Mississippi about someone who had a detached retina like me.  I had my cataract surgeries in Oxford in the 60's and went to Ole Miss in the 80's. Oxford is a beautiful town.

In the quiet before Mass, I like to gaze at the beautiful Byzantine Cross above the altar in our new St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church and contemplate the agony and death Christ went through for us. It is a poignant reminder for me to let God control my life before I totally mess something up. This particular cross is referred to as an “Inhabited Cross” which means it includes images of persons in addition to Jesus — in this case, paintings of Mary and St. John the Evangelist depicted in rectangular boxes at the end of Christ’s outstretched arms.

When I first looked at this cross, the rectangular boxes appeared larger in one eye than the other. An eye surgeon in Memphis tried treating this issue with medication which didn’t work and, because my vision was 20/20, referred me to Dr. Steve Charles, a world-renowned retina surgeon with the Charles Retina Institute in Memphis.

Dr. Charles informed me I had a detached retina in my right eye and issues in the left, not as severe, but both would require surgery. On July 14, 2011, Glenn Waller drove me to Memphis for the pars plana vitrectomy to reattach the retina and membranectomy, a peeling away of a membrane similar to scar
tissue across the macula.

Oops. No talking


Although anesthetized, I was awake during surgery and it was weird to see movement and have them poking about my eye. I had not seen Dr. Charles prior to surgery and said, “Good morning.” Not receiving a response, I said something else at which time Dr. Charles said, “Sir, you must stop this incessant talking because every time your jaw opens, your eye moves a half an inch!”

Ouch. I have letters behind my name but there are times when I am dumb as a rock and this was one of them!

The surgery took about an hour and Dr. Charles, thankfully, told me that it had gone, “Great.”

Ellen and Tom Levis drove me to Memphis the next day to get the eye patch removed and for a follow-up exam — all was OK. The vitrectomy included injecting a gas bubble into the eye, and for proper healing, I had to maintain a face-down orientation until the bubble dissolved which took 12 days. I could only see with one eye, couldn’t drive, didn’t sleep, and it was absolutely bloody awful! But, it was necessary and appreciatively, Trisha and Brad Buschem, Waite Spragins and Lisa and Chris Rippon from St. John’s brought meals to my home that helped me through the ordeal.

On Monday, July 25, 



Dr. Charles told me he was amazed at how well I was doing, to be patient and allow the eye to heal as the purpose of the surgery was to save my vision. With healing in my right eye and surgery in the left there is a possibility the image distortion (which was still there) will be corrected.

Update


Tally since June 2010: Reluctant retirement as a result of pain in my hips; excellent care and guidance from Dr. Mona Castle; many procedures for pain management; hours of outstanding physical therapy by Miriam Lovelady and Cornerstone; right hip total replacement by Dr. James Harkess; this right eye surgery for detached retina; left hip total replacement on Aug. 3, 2011 (Dr. Harkess); left eye surgery forthcoming; and of course, loads of medical bills.

But the most difficult situation and worst pain occurred when I lost my best friends — my fiancée of two and a half years ended the relationship and took “our” dog with her.

Putting my faith into practice is a day-in, day-out struggle for me and although it seems like I have been hit by a tsunami (feels like it, too!), I know I am being guided and this could be the best year of my life. Writing these columns really helps to keep my feet on the ground and I’m very grateful to those of you who read them.

Have a great weekend!





Steve Stricker is a retired psychologist. He received his Ph.D. in counselor education from the University of Mississippi on May 10, 1997. 

You can reach him at .

No comments:

Post a Comment