Sunday, February 19, 2012

DEPRESSION

Depression A New Light
by Ernest Jones

Depression often strikes when people discover they can no longer see well enough to do activities like they used to do. To be told, “your vision is growing worse,”
or “you are legally blind” will send a stab of fear into any person’s heart. Most people fear blindness more than any other physical
problem.

Depression can lead to anger and self pity.The newly diagnosed blind person may feel that he did something wrong, and now he’s being punished. She may start pulling away from other people, staying shut up in the house, rather than facing the outside world. Invitations from friends to go shopping or visiting may meet with a refusal.I remember such a time. Even though I had an idea my eyesight was failing, I refused to believe it. Unless a doctor checked my vision,
I could pretend for a while there was nothing wrong, but eventually I could no longer ignore the warning signs. Words hardly convey the fear that shot through me as the ophthalmologist said, “You are not to drive, nor should you operate any machinery such as saws, tillers or mowers. Your work as a nurse is over. You are legally blind.”

Although he assured me that I would get Social Security benefits, that did little to comfort me. Today there are rehab training programs that help pay for further education for those with fading eyesight, but that was not available when I needed it. Fortunately, I didn’t decide to just quit on life, and I didn’t obey all the doctor’s orders. I continued to mow the lawn until my mowing looked more like walking through a corn maze then a smoothly clipped lawn. I used my tiller and chain saw for many years, and I still use my skill saw now. I have made adjustments over the years. Today I find using my battery operated drill and screwdriver easier than pounding a nail. It also saves my fingers.

For most who lose their vision, the depression and anger does not last long. Like a person suffering any other setback, whether loss of job, serious illness, or marriage breakup, the blind person will bounce back to enjoy life and to be a joy to those aroundhim. But with blindness, as with any other life experience, each person reacts differently. I have found that work and exercise are
good tools for fighting depression. For me, gardening and walking are best. They reduce my stress and whatever lingering self pity may still be lurking in the shadows. The sooner the person with fading eyesight gets mobility training, the better life will be. Mastering the use of the long cane can open a whole new world. I understand the fear many have about the white cane. It shows the world that we are really blind. I think this fear comes from the assumption that the blind are helpless and useless. It is not easy to admit our blindness to our neighborhood. But once we get over the hump and just do it, our outlook on life greatly improves. I remember well the day I finally admitted to myself that I needed mobility training. My wife gave a great sigh of relief when I fi nally admitted my need. Another good antidote for depression is reading. One can get some large print magazines and books but will also fi nd a great source of material in two-track and four-track cassette tapes. These are available from the
National Library Service, state libraries for the blind, organizations such as Christian Record Services for the Blind, and Reader’s Digest,
as well as common, garden-variety public libraries. Of course bookstores are more than willing to sell audio books on CD as well.

Blindness will close a few doors, but it will also open doors to activities for which we never had time when we had to work 40
hours per week. Now we have more time to do whatever we most enjoy—or perhaps to volunteer for that worthy project we’ve been
meaning to help with. Life can still be great. Besides that, there is One who will never forsake us even when we feel all alone. This
verse of Scripture often fills me with hope: “I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide
them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake
them” (Isaiah 42:16, NIV).

We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world.
—Helen Keller

I can think of nothing less pleasurable than a life devoted to pleasure.
—John D. Rockefeller


Lifeglow

May-June 2008: Vol. 25, No. 3

No comments:

Post a Comment