Tuesday, July 5, 2011

NO REASON TO QUIT BOWLING

I thought this story was interesting for several reason. My aunt and uncle owned a bowling alley so I spend many Saturdays there bowling, I beat my husband and bowling when we started dating, he only took me once. I met someone who lost his vision but taught bowling. He used his hearing to know the ball was shot.

Bowling is a sport that is pursued by
many who have experienced vision loss.
The repetitive nature of the activity makes it
possible for a person with very little vision to
compete effectively. Only one additional piece
of equipment is needed: a guide rail set up
along the edge of the lane. No bumpers in the
gutters or other concessions are necessary.
Some bowlers use the guide rail only
to position themselves in the lane; others
maintain contact with the guide rail throughout
the bowling motion. Guide rails are portable—
usually weighted down with bowling balls on
either end. They collapse for easy storage.


For more information, go to the American Blind
Bowling Association’s website:
www.abba1951.org.

Lifeglow


Jan - Feb 2011, Vol. 28, No. 1

No comments:

Post a Comment