Wednesday, July 6, 2011

FIREWORKS AND FAKE EYE

I posted this story for two reasons. I hate fireworks because I had several blow up on me and I have a fake eye so I know what this young boy lives with.

He now has one eye, but a sharp view: Don't handle fireworks
June 30, 2011|By NATALIE POMPILIO, pompiln@phillynews.com 215-854-25
  • Thomas Eldershaw Jr. is flanked by his folks, Renee and Tom, who nursed him to health after fireworks took his eye last July.










Using a tiny suction cup, Thomas Eldershaw Jr. took out the prosthetic that now passes for his left eye.
This was in a   recent interview at Wills Eye Institute. Eldershaw last year did something thousands of Americans do every Independence Day: He lit the fuse on a firework. But instead of a light show, his life was changed forever.
The tennis-ball sized firework, launched from a mortar tube, hit him square in the eye, nearly splitting it in two. He's since undergone multiple surgeries, sat through dozens of doctor's appointments and spent tens of thousands of dollars on out-of-pocket costs.
And he's now blind in his left eye.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment