Tuesday, March 8, 2011

WORLD GLAUCOMA WEEK

March Holidays:Save Your Vision Month; World Glaucoma Week, March 6-12; March 20 First Day of Spring

I received this link from VISION AWARE a site I subscribe to. They have some great information. I take 3 different drops twice a day for my glaucoma. The blood vessels behind my eye are abnormal. Ask you doctor what your pressure is when they examine your eyes. Most time they just say they're ok. It should be in the low twenties. When I have my detached retina in 1989 my good eye was 45 when I left the hospital. After my right eye was detached it bottomed out to 6. At that point I couldn't see out of it anyway and was sent to be fitted with a fake or prosthetic eye. My advice is to take care of the vision you do have and get an annual eye exam. I always would check mine in September when school started. Not I have them check every 3 months.

The definition of glaucoma

glaucoma (glaw-KOH-muh)

Group of diseases characterized by increased intraocular pressure resulting in damage to the optic nerve and retinal nerve fibers. A common cause of preventable vision loss. May be treated by prescription drugs or surgery.


No comments:

Post a Comment