Wednesday, February 16, 2011

COOKING - CHICKEN SOUP



You have to remember to have a great sense of humor in my condition. I contacted the Commission for the Blind a few months ago to see what was available to help me at work. The people I have met are knowledgeable, caring, and compassionate. The Outreach Home Management Instructor Gwen came to my home for a three hour visit training. Now remember I have always been low vision but without any training. My first year in college I was living in another state and contacted the Commission for the Blind for help. All they did was get my a large print ACT test to take which I score was the same. They also recommended I tell my professors the first day of class that I couldn't see the board and I may need them to re-pete what they wrote on the board.

Gwen opened my world to me with tons of helpful suggestions about how to manage in my home with low vision. She asked me did I have trouble recognizing cans in my pantry. At first I said no but I have. First tip is to only keep a manageable about in your pantry so you can find the items. She said to write on an index can what the item is and put it on the can with a rubber-band.

This is was I remembered what I did the first year I lost my right eye. I bought an Emeril's Cookbook for Kids. I thought it would have simple recipes. Children's books have larger font size too. I was making the chicken noodle soup. My youngest son came in with a friend to eat as they sat there eating my oldest son came in the house. Andrew said "good job mom" as he held up the can of tuna fish I put in the soup instead of chicken, I signaled to him to keep quiet. That is the last time I made Tuna Noodle Soup. As I said a humor is a great tool.

Here the recipe:
Emeril's First Alphabet Soup
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse

You can use any small pasta shape for this soup - try orzo and stars, too!

Cook Time:
1 hr 0 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
10 cups, about 8 to 12 servings

Ingredients


  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 cups chopped yellow onion
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
  • 2 teaspoons Baby Bam, recipe follows
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cup alphabet pasta

Directions


Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and Baby Bam, and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, water, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 35 minutes. Add the alphabet pasta and stir well. Simmer until the pasta is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the pot from the heat. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Baby Bam Seasoning:

3 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons dried parsley

2 teaspoons onion powder

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon celery salt

No comments:

Post a Comment