Wednesday, February 9, 2011

COLORS AND SIGHT

I work for an audiologist who is a hearing doctor so we were discussing what colors hearing aid someone with macular degeneration could see better. I found the information below. These are also the color I love and have in my home now I know why I can see them better.

People with macular degeneration gradually lose their color perception. This is because the photoreceptor cone cells, which are most dense in the macula, are responsible for color vision. The rod cells, which proliferate in the peripheral field, provide only black and shades of gray.

Color is interpreted by the brain. The color it interprets depends upon the signals sent by the cone cells. When the cones, however, are weakened by disease, they lose their sensitivity to the lower-intensity wavelengths and are unable to send proper signals.
Blue, green, and red (called spectral colors) are the easiest to see. Other (non-spectral) colors are created by overlapping of the spectral wavelengths at various intensities (levels of brightness).

No comments:

Post a Comment